Remember when we mentioned that 72 Musicians director Bob Moczydlowsky was prepping a live album to go along with the film's release? It came sooner than we thought. For an Independence Day treat, Moczydlowsky put the soundtrack on the film's website. His words on why it was done the way it was reveals a man deeply in love with music and amazingly committed to this project:
Twelve songs. All recorded in one take, on the same stage, by the same equipment, by the same guy (Duane Trower). And while there is a lot more music to come in the film itself, I really believe this 12-song "album" is worthy of your attention on its own merits.
There are very, very few bands (or artists of any medium, for that matter) that would allow themselves to be preserved for judgment in such a raw, naked state. ONE TAKE. No overdubs. In front of a paying audience. And with no control over the front of house mix, or the recorded mix that you're listening to now. I don't care who you are, that takes commitment to your artistic vision. And balls. This kind of exposure would fucking wilt most bands.
And yet what you hear immediately in these songs is a passion that's been processed right out of most commercial recordings. Savor it.
That's what dreams sound like.
You can either stream the soundtrack or download it by entering your e-mail in the little widget below. They'll send you a link where you can download the album in handy-dandy ZIP format. As an added demonstration of the filmmaker's dedication to music, these are 320 Kbps encoded MP3s, meaning they're pretty much CD-quality. It sounds amazing--as in, "better than a lot of studio recordings" amazing.
Tracklisting after the jump.
1. The Life And Times - Que Sera Sera (3:34)
2. Ad Astra Per Aspera - Scatter Baby Spiders (3:34)
3. Olympic Size - Fuego (3:57)
4. Roman Numerals - My Life After Death, Parts I & II (5:45)
5. The Architects - Don't Call It A Ghetto (3:40)
6. White Whale - We're Just Temporary Ma'am (4:08)
7. The Stella Link - Ice Machine (4:24)
8. In The Pines - The Handless Man (5:16)
9. Sal Retta - Pills (2:58)
10. Namelessnumberheadman - Lesser Fates (3:06)
11. The Appleseed Cast - On Reflection (5:56)
12. Coalesce - What Happens On The Road Always Comes Home (3:08)