Soup is the ultimate comfort food in winter. There's something about a warm bowl and cold weather that just feels right. Perhaps it stretches back to the days when Julia Child used to make primordial soup.
10) Roxanne's Cafe -- This family-owned Parkville diner offers two homemade soups every day. A bowl of the vegetable, chock full of fresh vegetables and hunks of steak, sided with a softball-sized yeast roll is a soothing meal.
9) Souperman -- The daily specials change, but the West African Peanut Chicken Soup is a hearty staple that's earned its status as a regular option.
8) Red Snapper -- The best egg drop soup in Kansas City.
7) Happy Gillis -- This restaurant began as a soup subscription service, so they obviously know what they are doing. Southern Indian Lentil is the current featured flavor, but the choices change weekly.
6) Sweet Tomatoes -- This salad bar restaurant always features several soups each day. They're pretty good soup too -- and with the all-you-can-eat option, you can taste all of them.
5) Room 39 --
This is the kind of soup that you wish you could make at home with
seasonal ingredients. The current menu has winter squash and apple soup
with creme fraiche.
-- A steaming bowl of Pho is as filling a meal as you could want. This
grocery store-restaurant hybrid has a solid chicken stock and rice
noodle version of the Vietnamese dish for just $5.
3) Le Fou Frog -- It's not
perfect on a date, but the rich taste of the French onion soup topped
with gruyere cheese will make you forget about putting anything to your
lips besides the spoon.
2) Oak 63 -- The finest tomato soup in town. One of the best-loved comfort foods.
1) Hot Basil --
Coughing, sneezing, miserable? Chef-owner Lee Chai's Thom Yum soup has
proven curative powers. The fragrant broth, flavored with pungent
lemongrass and kefir lime, is generously dappled with chicken,
mushrooms, tomatoes and cilantro. You'll feel better just smelling it!
[Image via Flickr: atomicjeep]