1. Witness the next-best thing to Lady Gaga. OK, maybe that's an overstatement, but Prince Poppycock is pretty perplexing and his costumes are outlandish. He's at the Midland, along with other standouts from America's Got Talent tonight, for a live show emceed by none other than Jerry Springer. Here's hoping the Prince and the opera prodigy get in a fight.
2. Linger with local literati. Published writers will lead workshops, peddle their printed words and talk about the writing life today and Saturday during the MCC-Longview Literary Festival at the Longview campus of Metropolitan Community College.
3. Ask an undead mermaid to Prom. Alcott Arts Center hosts its second Zombie Prom on Saturday night. The theme of the art show and costume contest is Under the Dead Sea.
4. Watch out for the hops. KCBeerFest brings a huge sampling of brews to The Legends. The suds flow starting at 2 p.m. Saturday.
5. Dress up your dog. Canines in costume parade down Massachusetts Street in Lawrence on Saturday for Dogtoberfest. (They'll all be cuter than Prince Poppycock.)