James wants a 24-member advisory board to answer whether KCI, as it is, is the best airport for Kansas City, and if not, what options should be considered for a new airport design in the future. Recommendations may come by the end of the year or longer if they need the time.
Bob Berkebile, the B in architecture firm BNIM, was one of the designers of the original three-terminal design; he is the co-chairman of the advisory group along with retired local KPMG managing partner David Fowler.
Also on the group are Dan Cranshaw and Donna Wilson Peters, lawyers with large local law firms Polsinelli and Husch Blackwell, respectively, and Reginald Thomas, president and business manager for Kansas City Local Laborers Union No. 264.
While third parties that the advisory group consults with will be precluded from doing any work on a new KCI terminal, companies and organizations represented by members of the committee won't be, according to James, unless there's a legal conflict of interest.
"This is the beginning of a long conversation," James said in a morning press conference on the first floor of City Hall.
The surprise pick among James' appointees was Kevin Koster, a marketing executive with Sandweiss Koster Inc. in Briarcliff, the man who started the savekci.com website.
Here's the whole list of appointees:
* Bob Berkebile - principal at BNIM
* David Fowler - retired KPMG managing principal
* Jesse Barnes - executive director of the Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center
* Zulema Bassham - philanthropist
* Forestine Beasley - commercial broker with Greg Patterson & Associates
* David Byers - CEO of Carstar
* Chuck Caisley - vice president of marketing for Kansas City Power & Light
* Dan Cranshaw - lawyer with Polsinelli
* Prentiss Earl - entrepreneur in residence at the Kauffman Labs
* John Fierro - CEO of Mattie Rhodes Center
* Kevin Koster - president of Sandweiss Koster
* John McDonald - president of Boulevard Brewing Co.
* Mike McKeen - director of development for Briarcliff Development Co.
* Paula Meidel - account executive at Oracle Corp.
* Nikki Newton - senior vice president of Waddell & Reed
* Mark Pederson - vice president of Lockton
* Joe Reardon - former mayor of Unified Government of Kansas City, Kansas
* Nia Richardson - director of business development for DuBois Consultants
* Bill Skaggs - former Kansas City councilman
* Alicia Stephens - executive director of the Platte County Economic Development Council
* Reginald Thomas - president of Kansas City Local Laborers Union No. 264
* Qiana Thomason - vice president of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
* Sheila Tracy - president of the Northland Chamber of Commerce
* Donna Wilson Peters - lawyer at Husch Blackwell