Kansas City Councilman Michael Brooks said the press created a storm around $15,000 that went missing from City Hall for a Floyd Mayweather Jr. event that never happened.
Brooks took to 1590 AM Wednesday afternoon to deny any inappropriate conduct in obtaining $15,000 from City Manager Troy Schulte to get the famous (and at times, infamous) boxer to town to speak to the city's youth. Brooks spoke to Schulte to secure the money on behalf of local anti-violence group POSSE's director Ossco Bolton.
Brooks called the $15,000 obtained last year "seed money" and that it would actually cost between $60,000 and $70,000 to actually get someone like Mayweather to Kansas City. The Mayweather event never happened and the $15,000 hasn't been returned to City Hall.
"It was unfortunate that it didn't happen," Brooks said on the radio.
The explanation of why it didn't happen remained murky after Brooks' 10-minute explanation over the airwaves.
Brooks denied that he used his influence or strong-armed Schulte into cutting the $15,000 check and said an investigation proved no wrongdoing before blaming the media, particularly Tony Botello of tonyskansascity.com, for blowing the story up to make it seem like something was inappropriate.
Brooks has been silent on the issue thus far, citing legal advice to stay quiet, and now says it will be his first and last comment on the ordeal.