|Just wear pants and shoes, you'll get served...|
So, for all of you weekend breakfast fans in Fat City who simply won't do the brunch thing, here are our top five recommendations for a no-frills morning meal guaranteed to satisfy both the appetite and the budget.
5. Chubby's on Broadway -- If the strong black coffee can't jolt you back into conciousness, the harsh lighting -- which could make dewy Taylor Swift look like a rotting zombie -- and the perpetually cheery jukebox tunes will do it. The food is cheap (this weekend's special is a cheese omelet, toast, hash browns and a small juice for less than $8), and the people-watching is priceless.
4. Town Topic -- The staff at this iconic diner (and we're talking about the oldest one of the three remaining Town Topics in the metro, the one at 2021 Broadway) don't care if you've rolled out of bed, pulled pants over your pajamas and forgotten to brush your teeth. This is the last remaining all-night Town Topic, and -- trust us -- the cooks and waitresses have seen it all. A good three-egg omelet, with spuds and toast, will set you back about six bucks, and coffee is $1.45. But don't forget to tip, no matter how sleepy you are.
3. Poco's on the Boulevard -- Owner Lorenza "Poco" Guitterez re-opened her restaurant last year after briefly closing it down. Diners can either go through the Mexican breakfast buffet or oder eggs, bacon, omelets or waffles off the breakfast menu. Lots of musicians and artists like to eat here on Saturday morning, but they don't arrive very early.
2. The Cook Shack Cafe -- We loved this friendly, totally unpretentious joint enough to name it our choice for "Best Breakfast of 2010," and that's all the reason you need to stop in for some java and scrambled eggs. Use the money you saved by not going to an expensive brunch at the nice thrift store across the street; buy something you really don't need, like Carpenters Gold: The Greatest Hits. The cassette version, of course.
1. Cascone's Grill -- This family-owned diner in the City Market can be a see-and-be-seen joint on Saturday mornings, so it's probably a good idea to take a shower before rolling in here after a Friday-night debauch. The coffee is strong, and there's something comforting about eating your eggs with fat slabs of buttered Italian toast and a good marinara sauce.