Pour a little on the ground in memory of Peter J. Marcher Jr. The Baltimore Sun writes that Marcher Jr., the former head brewer for the National Brewing Co. who developed the formula for Colt 45, died on February 2. He was 92 years old.
The malt liquor debuted in 1963, and the brand, still made today, is now owned by the Pabst Brewing Company. In honor of Marcher Jr., Fat City wanted to take a look at five of the commercials that feature the beverage named in honor of Baltimore Colts running back Jerry Hill (not the gun model). This year, Pabst intends to introduce a series of flavored Colt 45 drinks -- Blast by Colt 45.
5. The Death Star. In addition to helping you knock on the wrong apartment door at the end of the evening, Colt 45 is capable of blowing up the Death Star. So, just in case you've got to lead the rebel alliance on a mission to blow up a floating battle station, you know what to stock in your spaceship's cooler.
4. Colt 45 and Shout-outs. It's oddly compelling to watch MrGregPuckett burp and shout-out his way through a 40 oz. bottle of Colt 45. It only takes him four minutes and 25 seconds, and that's with the distraction of a psychedelic screen saver. You almost don't want the bearded beer connoisseur to leave when he gets to the "swill, swill, swill."
3. Redd Foxx, Colt 45 deliveryman. It's a mash-up between The Dukes of Hazzard and The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. But watching Redd Foxx pilot a red sports car down a snow-covered mountain to deliver a six-pack is advertising genius.
2. Billy Dee Williams. Nobody was smoother in the 1980s than Billy Dee Williams. When he said you should never run out of Colt 45, it worked every time, and it made you believe you could be a ladies' man.
1. The surf spot. This is the whimsy that beer commercials strive for today. You can't beat the shot of a surfing waiter delivering a cold can of Colt 45 to the beach. Where is he surfing from? A floating restaurant? And as the ad notes, "in the dull and commonplace occurrences of day-to-day living, one thing stands out as a completely unique experience, Colt 45 liquor."