It's Craft Beer Week and it's 65 degrees. I'm willing to bet that if you don't drink outside this week, it's never gonna happen.
What might be the finest beer-drinking patio in town hasn't opened yet, but Paddy O'Quigley's (in the former Blue Moose Mountain Grill space) at 5317 W. 151st St. in Leawood should be on your agenda this summer when the renovations are complete in a few weeks. Until then, for those of you who know the joy of a cold beer on a crisp spring night, here's a guide to the five best beer-sipping patios in Kansas City.
5. McCoy's Public House (4057 Pennsylvania) -- This patio never lacks for guests in summer. It's an easy spot in the heart of Westport to grab a beer before escaping into the cool air conditioning of the Tivoli Cinemas.
4. 75th Street Brewery -- The Alley (520 W. 75th St.). The open-air beer garden has a touch of Wrigley Field with hop vines and faded brick walls. It's a sweet spot to while away a Friday night.
3. Trezo Mare (4105 N. Mulberry Dr.). A smart patio expansion last fall means it doesn't feel as crowded on the weekends. If you time it right, you can have a beautiful view of downtown as the sun sets.
2. Kieltyka's Stonewall Inn (10244 Pflumm, Lenexa). The patio has the feel of a cozy backyard party, albeit one with thin-crust pizza and fried pickles. If you want to get out of the city, Stonewall is a hidden little retreat.
1. The Westside Local (1663 Summit). Whether it's a Belgian or a Boulevard, the small bar tucked indoors just off the beer garden means you'll be drinking well. A plate of deviled eggs that you're willing to share will endear you to your neighbors at the long wooden community-style tables.
Where's your favorite patio in town to sip a beer?