Before we get to this weekend's exciting event recommendations, an explanation of facts:
The big and beautiful image on the right refers to Night + Day, also known as The Pitch's events calendar, a comprehensive guide to arts, entertainment, recreation and general time-wasting fun that happens in the metro. Every event listed below (and so much more) can be found in the calendar. And now, since you love it so much, go become a fan of The Pitch Night + Day on Facebook. (In case you're wondering, doing so will help you stay even more informed about what's awesome in Kansas City.)
And now, back to the regular Friday round-up of things you should spend your time doing this weekend.
1. Scare yourself stupid! The Legends 14 Theatres are screening eight indie horror flicks, starting today.
2. Support a local sports team! The Missouri Mavericks take on some puck-chuckers from Rapid City at 7:05 p.m. at the Independence Events Center.
3. Have a burger with your mates! And learn about Australian rules football at the same time. Members of KC Power, an Australian football league, are celebrating Australia Day over brews and burgers at Westport Flea Market Saturday from 2 to 6 p.m.
4. Wear a feathery mask! Crosstown Station is hosting the Top of the Bottoms Masquerade Ball, an early Mardi Gras extravaganza, Saturday night.
5. Support local artists and hungry people! Works by more than 25 artists will crowd the walls of boutique eatery Room 39 during the Fresh and Local art reception on Sunday, starting at 3 p.m. Yes, there will be tasty treats and wine available from the restaurant. But bring a canned good -- the event doubles as a benefit for Harvester's.