It's that time of year again, when your suspect high school friends and shady neighbors up the block start tinkering with homemade explosives in their garages, all in an effort to make this Independence Day sufficiently epic.
It's also the season of flying flesh.
Blowing Shit Up Season got underway in earnest on Sunday, when a Raytown trio attempted to turn their consumer-grade fireworks into something with a little more bang, Raytown Fire Battalion Chief Mike Hunley told the Star. They succeeded, albeit prematurely: Their concoction went off indoors, setting off a blast that sent a woman to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, blew the door off of its hinges and cracked the ceiling.
Last night it was Blue Springs' turn to join the mayhem. According to this morning's Star, an explosion there ...
... occurred while the two men were attempting to make an improvised explosive device by wrapping multiple sparklers together with electrical tape. The device unexpectedly detonated causing the injuries, police said.
The explosion extensively damaged the interior of the home, causing one of the exterior walls to be pushed off its foundation approximately three inches, according to police.
The kitchen was severely damaged too. The explosion pushed the ceiling upward knocking all the ceiling lights out of their supports and all of the kitchen cabinets doors from their frames.
Among the injuries were a blown-off hand, which brings us to today's moral: If you're going to blow off your hand making homemade fireworks, do it with something more manly-sounding than sparklers. And consider upping your homeowner's policy.
Photo via Timothy Hamilton's Flickr pool.