Wednesday, April 20, 2011

J-School students to Mizzou: Don't make us buy iPads

Posted by on Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

click to enlarge You must buy me.
  • You must buy me.

Already stuck with iPod Touches that were rarely, if ever, used in calls,  journalism students are saying enough is enough to the University of Missouri, which is considering requiring students to buy iPads.

Student newspaper The Maneater is taking a stand against the proposed requirement, calling the last required tech buy "nothing but a bust" and the devices were "hardly, ife ever, used in courses." What? Does Apple have some kind of deal with the J-school?

The Maneater's editorial board wrote that they "have no faith" in the iPad being used in coursework. They have a message for the Apple-obsessed university:

Leave it up to the student to decide if they'd rather record an interview on a new iPod touch or a simple tape recorder. Massive, general technological requirements do little for productivity, considering they are rarely utilized, if at all. It's also offensive to assume that it's the parents that pay for the technology when, in fact, large numbers of students take out their own loans for their "required" MacBooks and iPod touches.

We strongly urge the J school to stop requiring new technologies for their students, especially when they haven't even found useful ways to utilize the current ones, like the iPod touch. Even though some students could be reimbursed for the iPod Touch, it was only after purchasing the $2,000 MacBook Pro package.

When administrators push every new device in Apple's product line every couple years, the policies cease to be requirements. They aren't even friendly recommendations -- they're endorsements.

Man, are they pissed about those iPod Touches. But they've got a point. This stuff isn't cheap, and if they're not being used, then they shouldn't be a requirement. It's not like college kids are flush with cash.

Follow The Pitch on Facebook and on Twitter @pitchplog.

Tags: , ,

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

Latest in The Fast Pitch

More by Justin Kendall

Most Popular Stories

Slideshows

All contents ©2014 Kansas City Pitch LLC
All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of Kansas City Pitch LLC,
except that an individual may download and/or forward articles via email to a reasonable number of recipients for personal, non-commercial purposes.

All contents © 2012 SouthComm, Inc. 210 12th Ave S. Ste. 100, Nashville, TN 37203. (615) 244-7989.
All rights reserved. No part of this service may be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of SouthComm, Inc.
Website powered by Foundation